Book Review: Isla and the Happily Ever After

Sunday, December 28, 2014

"Artists are inspired by blank canvasses."



Title: Isla and the Happily Ever After
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Published: Dutton on 14th August 2014
Series: Anna and the French Kiss #3
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Setting: Paris, France & New York, USA
Format: Ebook, 352 pages
My Copy Source: Internet

Isla has a crush on Josh and it has been going on forever. And ever since that summer when Isla was kind of 'high', she had the guts to talk to Josh about stuff that she would never talk about if she were her normal self.

She spent her highschool days crushing on Josh from afar. She never thought she'd stand a chance.Besides, he has a girlfriend and she'd be shy even if he doesn't.

Talking to him was inevitable because she was too mortified by what had transpired in the Cafe the summer before school started and she never had the chance to apologize.

Friendship sparked between the two of them and eventually, they fell in love.

Can they juggle between the reality of their relationship and school if there are things that are already out of their control? Is their relationship worth fighting for over the distance between them when everything around them has already gone nuts because of their relationship?


I have been receiving a lot of positive feedbacks from my Tumblr friends about this book and since I've already read the first two books, why not give this last installment of Stephanie Perkins' series a go, right? And amidst my three currently reading pile (yeah, I switch books a lot especially when I get bored), I was able to make time for this book last 24th of December and was able to finish it on the 26th (I think that says a lot).

Back when I read Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next door, I wasn't a fan but I loved Anna's story more than Lola's. Though honestly speaking, Isla and the French Kiss only falls second. First is Anna and Lola is my least favorite.

I gave Isla a 3/5 rating because first, I was expecting Josh's mom to be a total bitch but she isn't so I haven't had the chance to hate a character in the book, I mean, who doesn't love a good antagonist? Second, I can't accept the fact that Josh just instantly fell in love with her just because he noticed that she was flirting with him at Kismet. Why? Why did you fall in love with her? You didn't notice her before and I wasn't involved in your "falling in love" process and I hate it. Third, their problem is not really problematic at all. 

I loved it because it's romantic. My smiles are all stretched up to my ears while reading it. I loved how artistic Josh is and it is a really lovely idea to be drawn by someone you love that's why Josh drawing Isla is all hearts and if only I am that artistic, I'd try to draw Josh's drawing of Isla that was soaked in water and there were flowers on top of her head. Next, I loved how all of the characters were reunited before the story ended, Anna and St. Clair with Meredith, Lola and Cricket, and Isla and Josh is pure happiness even if it's only for a few pages. On top of everything, I am most in loved with the idea of their so-called tree house. Even though it's only a roof top, I find it very magical, cozy and very home-y. I've always loved the idea of a tree house and I've never had one. *sad*

Even though I hated the idea of Josh just liking and loving Isla right away, this story mirrored mine. Isla is just like me, crushing on someone far away and after a year and some months the guy I was crushing on became my boyfriend. I didn't know what he loved about me but this kind of love can be nourished on the process that's why until now, he's still that same man who would be willing to wait for me until the time is right and it's not everyday that you'll come across a love like that.




"Young love can really take you to places and make you feel something you'll forever cherish and it's a wonderful memory to keep until that young love is not young anymore." 

2 comments

  1. I really enjoyed Isla and the Happily Ever After- I read it a couple of months ago. Its a really nice, quick read. I am glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I enjoyed the read I'm literally all smiles.

      Delete