Obsidian & Oblivion by Jennifer L. Armentrout Book Review

Thursday, January 28, 2016






















OBSIDIAN
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens.


The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.


If I don’t kill him first, that is.


OBLIVION
Experience the epic love story of OBSIDIAN as told by its hero, Daemon Black…

I knew the moment Katy Swartz moved in next door, there was going to be trouble. Lots of it.

And trouble’s the last thing I need, since I’m not exactly from around here. My people arrived on Earth from Lux, a planet thirteen billion light years away. Plus, if there’s one thing I know, it’s that humans can’t be trusted. We scare them. We can do things they only dream about, and honestly, we make them look weak as hell. ‘Cuz they are.

But Kat is getting to me in ways no one else has, and I can't stop myself from wanting her—or wanting to use my powers to protect her. She makes me weak, and I’m the strongest of our kind, tasked with protecting us all. So this one simple girl…she can mean the end for us. Because the Luxen have an even bigger enemy—the Arum, and I need to stay on my game.

Falling for Katy—a human—won't just place her in danger. It could get us all killed, and that’s one thing I’ll never let happen..



***REVIEW***

I've read Obsidian two years ago, and I was nearly done with the third book, Opal, when I stopped continuing the series. I have no reason behind that, I just suddenly forgot that I was reading the Lux series maybe because of my college life spiraling down or whatever, but I did stopped. I decided to reread Obsidian when I found out that Obsidian is written in Daemon's POV (Oblivion), and I read these two books, alternating between chapters because I think it'd be good to see same scenarios in different heads, that is Katy's and Daemon's.

I can't believe that even though I've already read Obsidian a few years back, it still didn't cease to enthrall me with its charm and kick-ass-ness (there's no such word, Ishie!). Reading it again for the second time, I still wasn't spared from Daemon's green eyes and I still fell for him over and over again (three times now, because I've read Obsidian twice and Oblivion once*wink*).

Jennifer L. Armentrout is just a genius in making hot male protagonists and seeing Obsidian again for the first time through a different perspective is just refreshing. Maybe you'd think that it would be boring because it's just the scenes from Obsidian just changing some stuff, but it's not. You would freaking enjoy Daemon's arrogant and cocky thoughts as he tries so hard to stay away from Katy but found himself doing the opposite every single time. As much as it is fun staying in Katy's malicious head, it is so much more fun in Daemon's undressing (HAHA) and brooding thoughts.

Katy is a representation of the book nerd in all of the bookworms in existence, mainly us. She's a book blogger and vlogger, who freaking met a freaking hot alien and the hotness is freaking all around that you just can't help but be envious. Like, hey, I review books too, where's my hot neighbor alien?! Katy, you are freaking lucky but unfortunate at the same time. I just know that you are in the center of a freaking war that not even Daemon is aware of yet (I think).

I admit that there are some parts that are way better told in Katy's POV, especially the fight scenes in the end. It is much more intense in Kat's because she is a fragile human that can die at any moment (which is totally impossible, though, because there are still other books in the series where she'll be POV'ing on once againg) and you can feel every pain searing through her.

I really love this series even though I'm not done with all the books yet. This is a gut feeling, but I know I will. *wink*

Rating: 5 ROSES


Post a Comment