Me Before You by Jojo Moyes SPOILER REVIEW

Monday, February 15, 2016

A fitting quote for the book. Credits to Katherine Codico for the beautiful handwriting.


Right after finishing the book, I immediately typed down my thoughts on my phone so as not to drown out all the other feelings that I might have an hour or a day later. I don't want to feel nothing as I jot down my emotions, I still feel sad, yes, but it's not as intense as when I was originally typing my review. This is a retype, by the way.

Title: Me Before You
Author: Jojo Moyes
Website: http://www.jojomoyes.com/books/me-before-you/
Published by: Viking Adult on 31st December 2012
Genre: Contemporary Adult Fiction
Format: Ebook
Purchase: NBS [PH] | FullyBooked [PH] | Amazon | B&N
Rating: 4 Roses

They had nothing in common until love gave them everything to lose

Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life—steady boyfriend, close family—who has never been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex–Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life—big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel—and now he’s pretty sure he cannot live the way he is.

Will is acerbic, moody, bossy—but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living.

"The thing about being catapulted into a whole new life---or at least, shoved up so hard against someone else's life that you might as well have your face pressed against their window---is that it forces you to rethink your idea of who you are."

I felt as if the world crumbled down on me after finishing this depressing book. It's a mix of right and wrong choice during this month, but it's definitely a wrong idea to read on days surrounding February 14. I still can't believe these books are allowed to exist, though. It shouldn't be legal for authors to crush their readers' hearts just like that and get away with it. I believe I do love books that gives me a good cry (sometimes ugly cry too, which is ALWAYS!), but this book was not just an ugly cry kind of book but a freaking depressing cry kind of book.

Let me start by saying do not read beyond this point, because this is definitely a SPOILER review.

I'll start with the basics, so that your eyes won't dart to a word that would finish off the entire book. Honestly, on a very different circumstance, I would've already put down the book few chapters later. It is a very descriptive book and if it weren't for the movie that would star two of my faves, I wouldn't have finished it. Obviously I did. The reviews are freaking flying high with a five on the book community, and I would've given it a five too, if it were not comprised of 75% story telling/descriptions and 25% dialogues. I just felt as if I was deprived of Lou-Will moments. Their dialogues, as less as they are, are very enjoyable. The banters and everything are just perf, and even though the book was not keen on the romance side, the little moments that there was was just rewarding. Some made me cry too.

It is a slow paced love story. Something that most books are not. Insta-love, as we would've called it, but this is different. Will and Lou's love blossomed to the point where none of them knew at which point everything changed. Maybe Will found it out first, we just don't know, because he has no POV, but Lou stayed in denial for too long, or she kept her eyes closed because she's taken, but she definitely fell hard and it was painful. SO.FREAKING.PAINFUL. SO.FREAKING.HEART-BREAKING.

Will's death gave birth to a new Louisa, but I know that it's not for long because something in her would definitely die with Will. I was selfish because I believed that this would be a happy-ending kind of book. Up until the last few chapters, I held on to a tiny string of hope that there would be a miracle, that Will might be well or that there might be a possibility of getting better, but there was never hope from the start. It is All the Bright Places all over again. I know that it is a really hard position for Will but the moment that there are words in the book that implied that people are never enough to make you want to fight, is just painful. I just can never stop myself from thinking of all the "might have been"s even when there is nothing I can really do to stop an inevitable ending.

The death was sudden, as was the ending. Like WTH?! The last night of their vacation and the moment Lou walked away,was, I thought, the last time that I would cry, but I was, again, wrong. The death was not at all cry-worthy but my hands were shaking as I read the last chapters and I realized I was already sobbing, not because of the words, but because my heart was shattering, like the impact of the sudden death was creeping into me in slow motion. The fact that the words were not the reason behind my tears just made me cry even more, because I know that deep down, I was really affected by the tragic ending. To the last pages of the book, I thought Will would write the saddest goodbye letter to Louisa, but he did not (and I was expecting).Typical Will.

Lastly, I don't think I would be reading the sequel because I still can't accept that Will is gone and that Louisa would eventually find someone new, which is so selfish of me, but I guess I'm still mourning and I can't think of anybody else for Lou at the moment.

I was really emotional about this review and I could have told you more but this is already really long as it is. So buh-bye!


2 comments

  1. Heartbreak collides with humor in Me Before You.
    A big-hearted, beautifully written story that teaches us it is never too late to truly start living.

    کتاب من پیش از تو

    ReplyDelete