Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet Book and Movie Review

Tuesday, July 7, 2015


I haven't actually been tracking down all my one day reads but I am fairly sure that when I finish a book within a span of 24 hours, there must be something in it that had my attention and it just needs to be finished right away and as much as I want to prolong my stay with that certain book, I just can't seem to put it down until I finish it eventually. The thing is, it happened to me again, with this book called Sundays at Tiffany's. I guess you are familiar with it? Yes I'm pretty sure you are because it was turned into a movie last 2010 and I haven't watched the film yet around this time that I am writing my introduction but now that I am continuing this post, I have already watched it! Hooray!

First, the book cover of the copy that I owned and got from Starry Books Shop for a fairly cheap price (it's pre-owned but it's in a very good condition that it seems brand new) is a bit misleading. This book is a movie tie in edition and if you haven't watched the film yet, like myself when I read the book, it could lead to a bit of confusion. This book cover shows two little kids, and apparently, one of them was the imaginary friend, which is the boy and his name is Michael. While it is probably the truest form of imaginary friend when you're a kid, in the book, Jane's was a 35 year old man and knowing nothing about the movie and letting the book cover sink, I thought that Michael was really a kid! But no, he's not and that got me in knots while reading but then I figured it out eventually.


This book is an easy read and with some funny sarcastic dialogues, and based on some of the books that I have read by James Patterson, this book is on par with Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas! I've only read three and I love these two and hated First Love, so I guess I'll be trying his other books and not judge him solely on a single book hate.

So a new motto for me: "Don't judge an author by one of his books but if the number increases, don't read that author again." A little warning though, not because one wormiee doesn't love a certain author, doesn't mean you won't love him too. It goes with taste and we have different tastes, okay? And besides, it's only one book and James Patterson is a great author based on Suzzane's and Sunday's and I highly recommend these books! Go on, please do.

* * *
BOOK REVIEW

* * *

Title: Sundays at Tiffany's

Author: James Patterson & Gabrielle Charbonnet
Published by: Grand Central Publishing on 1st June 2009
Genre: Romance, Fantasy, Chick Lit, Contemporary
Setting: New York, US
Format: Paperback, Movie Tie-in Edition, 319 pages
My Copy Source: Bought [Starry Books Shop]
Rating: 4 Roses


As a little girl, Jane has no one. Her mother, the powerful head of a Broadway theater company, has no time for her. She does have one friend—a handsome, comforting, funny man named Michael—but only she can see him.

Years later, Jane is in her thirties and just as alone as ever. Then she meets Michael again—as handsome, smart and perfect as she remembers him to be. But not even Michael knows the reason they've really been reunited.

Sundays at Tiffany's is a love story with an irresistible twist, a novel about the child inside all of us-and the boundary-crossing power of love.

100% RECOMMENDED! Especially during Christmas time, but since that is still a good 5 months  away, you can read it anytime. Okay? It's cute and it's fun and it won't be what you think it is when you read the prologue.

Speaking of prologue, HA! I love a book that proves me wrong. I read the prologue and thought, WTF? This is a bit revealing, isn't it? But then again, it slapped me right back and said "YOU JUDGER!" =))

This book, if you have no idea yet, is about Jane Margaux, daughter of Vivienne Margaux, the busy and perfectionist owner of a big theater company in New York if I am not mistaken. Jane has a 35-year old imaginary friend named Michael who will leave her on her 8th birthday. Jane was deeply hurt because when he leaves her, she'll be alone again so he promised her that as soon as he leaves, she will forget everything about him. But that didn't happen, Jane remembers everything until she was on her thirties and engaged and everything until he came right back into Jane's life and from there, everything was in full brightness with their reunion.

I love all the characters in the book after watching the film, because by then, I was able to fully appreciate their vivid personalities as compared to the film. Take Jane's fiance for example, his name is Hugh, I love to kill him in the book. He's a self-centered bastard who wants nothing but fame from Jane whereas in the movie, he's apparently a not so vain but still kind'a vain and famous fiance. Next is Vivienne, she served a lot of purpose in the book and her character is a lot more antagonistic compared to the movie. I just don't think I'll ever get the reason why she's the way she is. Vivienne is a bitch to her daughter and the book just didn't answer why, there is no story. The only reason for her being a bitch was  that she wants Jane to be independent. You can do that, you know, even without making your daughter fell like she's worthless! UGH. (see? I'm much more alive and kickass with the book's characters because they are easy to hate HAHA). Who else? Let's see... I guess those are the two characters that are "hate-able" in the book and "love-able" in the film.

 That little plot twist in the end was by far unpredictable. I am not saying anymore because I might spoil you. I've already spoiled a little already by saying something about the prologue. I'm sorry about that, okay?

All in all, I love the feel of breezing through the pages because I love that it did not bore me. I love how it ended and I love Michael, really. It made me wish I had an imaginary friend. The one who would know everything about me even when I already forgot it myself.



* * *
MOVIE REVIEW

* * *


The movie was charming and  a bit different form the book's story line. Michael, for one, is a kid and not a 35-year old imaginary friend and he grew up into a man and came back into Jane's life after leaving her at Tiffany&Co. on her 10th birthday, the age of awareness, with a broken heart (at age 10 of course it's because she lost a friend).

Again, I am in love with Michael, not just in the book but also in the movie. He is freaking handsome and funny and childish. As for Jane, she's sooo pretty and it's just... Even with entirely different story line, the movie is still great and enjoyable.

There are parts that I wished they'd retained, but then again, I still loved both the movie and the book even with different pros and cons. It's a happy ending and realizing that Jane is not happy with Hugh and she's completely herself with Michael is enough for me to feel joyous even with the less dramatic ending as opposed to the book's VERY TRAGIC AND DRAMATIC end.

Definitely a chick flick must watch! Go read and watch wormiees!

* * *

Another great recommend is Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson also. It will leave you teary eyed and the film adaptation is, as far as I can remember from the book, entirely the same and you'll absolutely love it. Go Go Go! :)

* * *
INSTAGRAM BOOK PHOTOGRAPHY
(Different Book Covers)

* * *


Killing time... #currentlyreading

A photo posted by Alena A. (@alenaabesamis) on










A photo posted by e r i k a h o (@erikaffeinated) on




A photo posted by Eriele the Mermaid ❤ (@bookphanage) on

Post a Comment