BOOK REVIEW: Angelfall by Susan Ee

Thursday, March 15, 2018



11500217
Title: Angelfall
Author: Susan Ee
Series: Penryn and the End of Days #1
Published by: Hodder and Stoughton on May 23, 2013
Genre: YA Fantasy, Paranormal (angels), Scifi dystopia
Setting: San Francisco, California, USA
Purchase: FullyBooked [PH] | Amazon | B & N
My Rating: 4 Stars 


It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.


I have a new book buddy! Hooray! I've been book buddies with my college friends all throughout our university life and even up to now, but I've found an online book buddy who gushes a lot like me, and she's the one who recommended this new book to me. I actually have a long list now because of her. Hahaha! 😭

True to her words, this was really a fast paced book and I've had no time to adjust whatsoever to the surroundings and the new world that was thrown into me. 

So Angelfall is a world in chaos, a world in destruction, a world that is ripped and a society that fell apart. Thrown in the middle of this destructive mess is our main protagonist named Penryn, which we followed all throughout this book. Penryn, her sister, Paige, and her mother, I forgot the name, was at the wrong place and at the wrong time when a gang of angels swooped down having a "gang fight". Five to one, I think, and we have this lone angel with snow white wings ripped from him,  and the next thing that happened? You gotta find that out yourself because that was just the first part and you're going to find yourself deep in this story wanting to find out more. So many questions....soooo many questions. 

I really loved this book, story and character-wise. The story that we followed is pretty interesting and I was really curious as to what was really happening because the author throws so many things that have no answers, and I was hoping that the loose ends in the first book would be tied up as a whole as the series go along.

The characters were really lovable. It is really refreshing to find a female character that makes some wrong decisions but is not frustrating when she makes them, because a lot of female characters in YA fictions have been really frustrating. There have been a shift in female characters as the YA fiction became diverse and they became more badass and does not need rescuing and it was so nicely done in this book. It was a mixture of saving each other because both male and female characters have their own strengths and weaknesses that makes them have a good dynamic when it comes to saving and rescuing each other and that was what I admired in this book. Equality at its finest without making the other feel a little less adequate in the saving department and it was awesome! 

The ending had me at the edge of my seat. There was a mix of scifi paranormal stuff towards the end and I was a little bit confused and then more questions that went unanswered and then woah! That ending! Woah! I still can't get over what happened, so you guys, oh my gosh! I will never move on from that. I'm still grieving 😭😭😭


1 comment

  1. I have seen this book around so much that I have always wondered what it is about, not only that I have wanted to get my hands and eyes on it and yet!
    Anyway, thank you for this review, it did kind of pushed me to buy this book. ;)
    -- Mridu aka Storypals (www.storypals.net)

    ReplyDelete